Here are 5 random things I'd like you to know about this place we call the firehouse:
1. Him enjoying the place does not mean he wants anything like it at home.
2. Anyone else besides the people who live there probably (really) should keep their opinions as to the décor to themselves.
(From @WifeonFire He may be referring to this fine art that is no longer hanging in our living room.)
3. While he's here it may look relaxing and enjoyable, but the entire time he is here he carries the responsibility and awareness that at any moment things could demand of him an extremely heavy burden. This never really gets conveyed but everybody there on duty knows it. Proof of this lies in the extremely different feeling most of us feel after role call on our offgoing morning when you're "at" the firehouse, but not under the obligation to respond if and when the tones drop. I can't tell you the number of guys who comment openly about what a good feeling it is to enjoy a cup of coffee there at the station in the morning knowing that the responsibility you just bore for 24 hours is off your shoulders.
4. The "kids" here can be more difficult and complicated to deal with than the kids at home at times.
5. He doesn't get to pick who he works with. Whether you "like" this guy or that guy is important to him, but he's got to try and forge a dependability based relationship with each and every guy on his crew at a minimum.
For some more reading
Latest posts by Lori Mercer - WifeOnFire (see all)
- Life, Death and Healing Hearts - May 20, 2015
- Stop Calling Yourself a Fire Wife - May 9, 2015
- We’re Playing Your Song ~ Dedications to Your Sweetheart - May 7, 2015