A big major thank you to Val and all the kudos you gave her yesterday
! Seriously some big shoes to fill. Today I want to take a moment to let you run around inside my life a little bit.
First you must meet the handsome guy who qualifies me for this job…my firefighter hubby. (You might hear a lot about him here so its best you see his face right away)
The handsome man who qualifies me for this job
I’m a creative IT geek. Born and raised in Ohio and proud alumni of The Ohio State University (yes, I bleed scarlett and gray, please don’t hold it against me!) and now raising our family here. Currently I’m working full time in IT and on the side I do websites and blog* (*very irregularly!) at PictureYourLife.com. A URL I have proudly owned since 2002. Just call me nerd-girl. I’m also a runner, cross-fitter, hobby photographer and mother to 4 very busy children!! In my spare time (LOL!) I do love
Me in full on nerd mode
reading and outdoorsy stuff.
Dan and I met 10 years ago when my oldest, Jackson, had just turned 2. I was doing the rat race single working mom day care dash when a friend invited me and Jack to visit his firehouse and check out all the cool things 2 year old boys like – big trucks, noisy sirens and their heroes, the firefighters. (Ok, that move was a bit naive. Honest. I now know why guys invite chicks to the firehouse!)
But lucky for me, Dan and I were briefly introduced, had an instant connection, I agreed to give him my phone number and the rest is history. Before that moment, I seriously knew NOTHING about firefighters. It was a completely magical mystery to me. And especially heroic right on the heels of 9-11.
In the next 5 years, we married, had 3 more children, survived remodeling and flipping a fixer-upper and building a new house. This year we celebrate 10 years of marriage and plan to start counting in decades from here.
Why take over FirefighterWife.com?
For one it’s God’s timing. All the stars aligned. I’ve been working on a few web development projects and I’ve been praying about the right niche for me to dive into as my own site. On a notecard, I listed the possible areas and carried it around in my pocket looking for the right sign for where I should dive in. In the midst of those prayerful weeks, I received an email from Val expressing her interest in selling this site. Can you say answered prayer?
But there are truly important reasons why I want to support the FirefighterWife.com community.
- Because every morning he left for the firehouse in our first 2 years of marriage when I was pregnant / nursing / having multiple toddlers on my hips, I cried. 24 hours felt like an eternity.
- Because I don’t cry anymore but every morning he leaves for the station and kisses me good bye, I always say a prayer that he comes home safe. Every morning. It might be the last time we kiss.
- Because when he does come home physically safe, sometimes his heart is crushed by the sadness he experienced that day. Death. Drugs. Domestic violence. Debilitating disease. Children living in filth and poverty. I know you all listen to the details, hug your family tighter, pray a little longer and move on into your safe world each day wondering what can be done.
- Because you have come to love having the TV remote and quiet time to yourself every duty night. (But we’ll keep that secret safe here!)
- Because managing family schedules with shift work is completely insane. People wonder why I hesitate to agree to a carpool schedule that requires me to drive every Tuesday, while I try to do the unit day math in my head. You firefighter wives get this.
- Because the stinky bag of clothes that hangs out in your bedroom can be really annoying.
- Because I haven’t met a firefighter’s wife who isn’t strong, capable, able to do amazing things. Because for 24 hours (or more) at a time, you run the household. Seriously, I’ve not met a fire wife who isn’t capable of finding solutions for plumbing disasters, wild animal encounters or tearful boys who really want their Dad’s advice right at this moment. A wife with courage and opinions and the willpower to get it done.
You are the kind of gals I like to hang out with.
I can’t wait to get to know all of you and to build this community as a resource for all the Firefighter Wives.
So, What’s next?
Well, I have some new ideas, but I don’t want to rock the boat in a major way. You gals have some great stuff going here and I want to keep that up!
So first of all, I’m going to doing some surveying and getting to know you kinds of things to make sure all you readers continue to get what you like out of this community.
One thing big on my heart is helping others. In the firefighting community, there is a lot of support for those in need,
especially fellow firefighters. So I really want to be able to rally around those causes on this site. For example, coming up locally in Ohio is this great benefit for a local firefighter who lost his leg in a motorcycle accident (and then married his fiance while still in the hospital – SO SWEET!) .
Because all of you not in Ohio don’t want to be inundated with our local stuff, and vice versa, I am planning on making some local community sections where you can promote your local events as well.
Local (or distant?) Meet Ups
I would love to see some “irl” meet ups. (For those not into the teen texting speak, that means “in real life”.) These charity events are the perfect opportunity. We all show up in adorable blinged out FirefighterWife.com t-shirts and the friendships grow stronger. (or something equally exciting!) And who knows….maybe in the future we could manage a firefighter wives or couples cruise?
Do you write?
I want guest bloggers! You would seriously get sick of hearing from me all the time so we will definitely have a community of people blogging here, including the faithful founder of this site, Val Selby, AKA “Hot Wife”.
Hot Firefighter Wives
One last note…. sorry if you’re disappointed to lose the smoking hot firefighter wife on the header. But I’m midwestern chicka with slightly more conservative friends so I chose to tone it down a couple notches. Besides, I’m certain you’re all smokin’ hot for your hubbies 🙂 However…..stay tuned because we may have some image right issues going on there and we may be looking for our new cover model for Firefighterwife.com Could it be YOU????
WOW! Way too long for an inaugural blog post. My promise to keep them shorter in the future.
But please share in the comments below…..
What did you LOVE about FirefighterWife.com and don’t want to see change?
What do you want to see more of?
The following two tabs change content below.
On a mission to save fire marriages, nurture and encourage other fire wives and love on Jesus and my 4 kids.
Blessed to be leading this amazing community of Fire Wives.