Atlanta, Georgia June 5, 2013 – FirefighterWife.com is hosting the first ever national gathering for wives of firefighters in Atlanta, Georgia, July 25-26, 2013. This event is designed for fellowship and encouragement for fire wives who face significant stresses and challenges supporting their husbands through the challenges of a firefighting career.
The divorce rate is exceptionally high in the fire service. Some indicate as high as 75%. And judging by the marital challenges and second marriages in the online private wives community, known as the Fire Wife Sisterhood, 75% seems rather accurate.
Many traditional support channels for women do not fit the schedules and lifestyle of a fire family. Feeling these challenges as a fire wife herself, Lori Mercer began blogging at FirefighterWife.com and quickly discovered she was not alone.
She started the Fire Wife Sisterhood began last summer by first launching a private Facebook group for FirefighterWife.com. 40 women joined in 1 hour. 100 joined in the first day. And the community now stands at 1200 members. Immediately these women connected and bonded and the next natural step was to plan an event for everyone to meet in person.
Lori was nominated as a ABC 6 / FOX 28 “On Your Side” Champion where she stated “Our main goal is to reduce the divorce rate and strengthen marriages in the fire service.”
FirefighterWife.com is now an online resource for marriage support and encouragement for the the wives of firefighters. Topics include:
- Worry, fear and sleepless nights
- Good Communication, even when interrupted and not in person
- Staying connected and intimate when he’s gone so much
- Jealousy and the firehouse – His brothers, the groupies, working with female firefighters
- Dealing with his exhaustion and irritability at home
- Difficult Calls – how to help him
- Managing your stress levels as you manage the home front single handedly
The site offers programs such as the daily Fire Strong challenge, Fit Fire Wife for fitness accountability, “The Love Dare” and other studies for strengthening your marriage and of course the community of fire wives where you can always find another wife who has experienced the challenges you are facing.
At the event in Atlanta, titled “Flame Fest”, the wives will hear from
- Mark Lamplugh, founder of 1st Responder Treatment Center who will speak on PTSD in the fire service and its link to addictions and share with the wives on how to spot the early signs and symptoms
- Tara Carson, Founder of The Dating Divas, will share with us “How to Date Your Husband”
- Marla Taviano, author of “The Wife Life”, “Husband’s Guide to Getting Lucky” and “Once Upon the Internet” about internet friendships
- Cindy Ell, executive director of Firefighter Cancer Foundation, will bring awareness to cancer risks in the fire service and how wives can help
- Chief Rick Lasky, Five Alarm Leadership, will make a special video appearance sharing his personal passion regarding marriage in the fire service
- The Pink Heals Firetruck will also make an appearance
The event is open to all wives, fiancees and girlfriends of firefighters and includes special programming for the men as well, concluding with a semi-formal dinner on Friday evening.
The event is sponsored by 1st Responder Treatment Center with support from National Firefighters Endowment, CalebWorks.com and MN8 Foxfire who will launch a new product at the event which will be exclusively available through the FirefighterWife.com store.
To register for Flame Fest, go to FirefighterWife.com/FlameFest
For more information email, email@example.com
Latest posts by LoriM (see all)
- Family First, FDIC, or Both? - April 20, 2018
- When Fire Life Meets Fire Wife Entrepreneurship: how to stay married - June 14, 2017
- Ways to Honor a Retired Fire Wife - March 24, 2017